Dr. Tina Calderone’s History of Success with Seminole County Public Schools
With a long list of great school district successes behind me, I hope to continue our forward momentum during my re-election campaign. Because you deserve nothing less, I set ambitious goals for creating long-term improvements in Seminole County Public Schools. I’m proud to work tirelessly with others dedicated to improving our schools to ensure campaign objective and promises to Seminole residents are made a reality:
Streamlining School District Processes and Systems
During my time with the district, I supported streamlining processes and procedures through a combination of technology, communication and procedural improvements:
- Modernized budget process with oversight from external business experts
- Strengthened student access to technology
- Supported continuation of paperless initiatives within the district
- Invested in a call out system to keep families up-to-date with important school district information
Equipping Teachers for Success. Improving Quality of Education.
Seminole County Public Schools continues to better prepare students for college or the workforce. Together, we improved access to special programs leading to tremendous progress that directly contributed to our district’s exceptional school rating:
- Added new vocational programs & increased industry certifications by 588%
- Established Great Start Program to encourage early childhood education
- Increased gifted and talented program enrollment
- Formed programs to support “at-promise” youth
- Continued funding for arts and athletics programs
- Added an Associates of Arts program for Crooms Academy & Lake Howell students
Partnering with Local Governments, Businesses and Citizens to Benefit Schools
- Invested an additional $26 million in safety and security measures
- Encouraged beneficial partnerships and increased communication with local businesses and municipalities
- Started a district-wide internship program
- Added new magnet programs and programs of emphasis to enhance school choice
- Ensured that every school has a full-time School Resource Office
- Supported economic development efforts to ensure businesses understood the benefits of quality education, resulting in the relocation of companies to our county
- Established the S.C.P.S. Community Leadership Academy
Improving Seminole’s Stellar Performance
In addition to my stated goals, Seminole County Public Schools glimpsed tremendous academic achievements during my tenure with the Seminole County School Board including a first rank in FCAT reading, math, and science for Central Florida school districts. For 2016-17, Seminole County Public Schools had the 8th highest graduation rate out of the 67 Florida school districts. Crooms Academy was ranked #1 in the Nation by U. S. News World Report as the “Most Connected School in the Country.” The College Board’s Advanced Placement Honor Roll was received for two consecutive years (one of only three districts nationwide). Seminole County Public Schools ranked #2 in Florida in the percentage of its budget being spent in the classroom. All High Schools ranked in the top 4% of the nation by Newsweek Magazine based on the number of Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate tests taken.
Creating a Lifetime Love of Learning in Seminole County’s Children
I have and continue to support early childhood education agendas as shown by my past initiatives. As a fundamental component of my belief that our children should come first in county decisions, I have worked to give our district children an early positive learning experience. This is essential to creating the lifetime love of learning that successful communities are founded on.
These early childhood education efforts included the creation of Great Start. Great Start, a completely donation-supported initiative, guides new parents to encourage healthy learning habits in their children from birth. I am also passionate about improving access to pre-kindergarten by supporting the opening of the first Seminole County Public Schools Early Learning Center and offering Pre-K in every elementary school. This greatly increases the number of seats available for Pre-K students, preparing more children for kindergarten and setting them up for a successful academic career.
The Chance to Fight for Successful Seminole County Public Schools Again
Despite these great county successes, I have more work to do. As you decide who to elect, I ask you to consider re-electing someone with a long history of improving our schools, an education advocate with a history of following through with promises and always putting children first. With your vote, I promise to continue to focus on safety & security, positive relationships and student achievement.
Quality schools not only increase property values, they attract businesses and make Seminole County an even more special place to live. Find out how you can help re-elect Tina Calderone to the Seminole County School Board. Remember, I can’t fight for our children without your support.